Sunday, September 20, 2015

Early Years Part 2 Alex

I have hardly no memories of the time before my little brother Alex was born. I was almost 5 years old when he arrived and made me a big sister. Alex was a gorgeous child, he had thick brown wavy hair and big green eyes. He was friendly, kind and everyone who knew him seemed to love him, well almost everyone.

There is one thing that Alex didn't have what I had: He did not have the need to please my parents, the way I had learnt to do from an early age. For example, my father was a huge sports man, he played tennis, volleyball, ran a lot and Alex wasn't interested in any of those at all and he wasn't afraid to show it. That annoyed my father a big time.  My father was also a tough guy, didn't show much of his emotions and e.g. till today I have never seen him crying. My brother was the opposite, he showed all his feelings very openly. I remember one thing what happened when he was around 7 years old. We were watching a children's movie and the main character of the movie died, which made Alex cry. When my father saw this he was very upset to him and said "Stop that silly crying! Boys don't cry!".

When Alex hit the teens he didn't care that much of his school. Girls and partying were much more his league. Again, that was a huge difference for me, who was an A+ student, studied hard and hardly partied at all (I did have a boyfriend though!). Alex heard several times from my father sentences like "Why can't you be like your sister" or "With that kind of lifestyle you'll achieve nothing, you'll be nothing!". Every time when I happened to hear that it hurt me, but I never said anything. Neither did Alex, but I saw the anger, hate and also sadness in his eyes.

All my childhood I sensed that I was my father's favorite child and Alex was not the "right kind" for him. From my mother's side I never felt that, I think she equally loved us both as much. Alex and I used to fight the same way as I think all the siblings do. However, we always stayed close and I loved him a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment