Saturday, September 26, 2015

It's a Big Big World

Since I was a little girl I knew that one day I would leave my hometown and move abroad. I was always especially fascinated about U.S. and I remember telling people that when I turn 18 I'll be moving to L.A! Well, it didn't really go quite that way, but there came a day that I left my small northern hometown for good.

In high school I was dreaming about going for an exchange student for a year to Japan, but then I chickened out and did not go, even though my parents were supporting that idea. After graduating from high school, I had no idea what should I do with my future, what I should study and where I should live. There was however one thing I knew, I have to get out of this place! I felt I don't belong there. All my family and my friends and my high school sweetheart seemed to be happy to live there. And I was suffocating. The small circles, strong norms how you should live your life. I wanted something more, I wanted to break free, I wanted to BE FREE. The last thing I wanted is to do was to settle down there, go to local college, get married and have two children and a dog! I wanted to see the world, experience everything it had to offer and leave everything behind.

I examined different possibilities to full fill my dream and the easiest and fastest option was to go for an Au Pair. And so I did. I found an international Au Pair agency and it did not take long when I found a host family and was ready to go!

My plane left early in the morning. My dad was still working (he had a night shift at the hospital) thus I didn't see him that morning, I said goodbye to Alex and my mother brought me to the airport. She was crying, I didn't, I guess I was so excited and nervous of what would happen next. And when I stepped into the plane I was smiling, almost laughing - I was free, I felt something good was happening. And I was so damn right about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment